Silverback Therapeutics, a Seattle-based biopharmaceutical company, is seeking a highly motivated individual to work with the General Counsel and senior leadership team to formulate and execute the intellectual property strategy of Silverback Therapeutics. Create, maintain and direct Silverback’s intellectual property (IP) portfolio, including the development and implementation of offensive and defensive strategies complementary to and supportive of the Silverback’s commercial products, products-in-development, and technology platforms, and coordination of enforcement activities related to the portfolio.
- Develop and implement timely and strategic patent and trademark portfolio plans to match Silverback’s business objectives. Regularly assess the strategic plan and modify as needed and manage patent life cycles.
- Manage, coordinate, and advise on US and international prosecution activities performed by in-house counsel, outside law firms, and corporate partners. Also participate in patent preparation, prosecution, and strategic activities as needed, including interviewing USPTO examiners, drafting patent applications, and responding to office actions.
- Organize and/or attend appropriate internal meetings (including leading the IP Committee meetings), interview appropriate Silverback employees and consultants, monitor scientific progress, and review invention disclosures to assess, discuss, and advise on which new technologies or activities to patent, when to file patent applications, and where to obtain patent protection.
- Advise Silverback management, and eventually future corporate partners, on strategic options to create and maintain the strongest possible IP protection, including providing strategic guidance on all IP issues relating to Silverback’s products, product candidates and technology platforms, and evaluating the scope, validity and enforceability of third-party patents.
- Function as counsel and liaison between the scientific staff, the business development group, and management concerning patentability and freedom to operate, as well as providing scientific input needed for patent support.
- Maintain an effective and timely search process to identify and monitor third-party IP and monitor the need for preliminary and/or formal legal opinions regarding invalidity, non-infringement, and freedom to operate.
- Oversee, interpret, and counsel management regarding IP aspects of Silverback’s contracts. Partner with and support business development and management on significant technology transactions.
- Monitor, manage, and/or participate in patent and trademark reexaminations, oppositions, and litigations.
- Manage, train, and support both internal and external legal staff.
- Represent Silverback with a high level of integrity and professionalism and adhere to Silverback’s policies and support management decisions and goals in a positive, professional manner.
- Prepare annual budget regarding IP-related legal matters
- Support finance and corporate contract activities as needed.
- From time to time and/or when invited, present legal seminars or participate on panels at Continuing Legal Education seminars as a Silverback representative.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. or Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences or equivalent related experience.
- J.D. license to practice law in at least one (1) US jurisdiction, preferably in Washington state.
- Registered to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- At least six (6) years of experience in IP law, primarily in patent law; experience in pharmaceuticals/biotechnology strongly preferred.
- Expertise in oncology, immuno-oncology and immunology is helpful.
- Strong understanding of IP protection issues in the biotechnology field. Understand business implications of decisions; display orientation to profitability; demonstrate knowledge of market and competition; align work with strategic goals.
- Ability to exercise judgment and comply with attorney ethics rules.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively and project a professional image when giving and taking information in writing, in person and over the phone.
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks; good time-management, problem-prevention and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to work with co-workers, corporate partners and potential corporate partners, the public and outside agencies professionally and tactfully.
- Ability to work accurately with close attention to detail.
- Exhibit a professional, businesslike appearance and demeanor.
Silverback Therapeutics, Inc. is a privately held, clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on leveraging its proprietary ImmunoTACTM technology platform to develop systemically delivered and tissue targeted therapeutics for the treatment of cancer and other serious diseases. Silverback’s platform enables the strategic pairing of proprietary payloads that modulate key disease modifying pathways with monoclonal antibodies directed at specific disease sites. Initially, Silverback is creating a new class of targeted immuno-oncology agents that direct a TLR8 agonist myeloid cell activator to the tumor microenvironment in solid tumors to promote cancer cell killing. Silverback’s lead product candidate, SBT6050, is a therapeutic comprised of a TLR8 agonist payload conjugated to a HER2-directed monoclonal antibody that targets tumors such as certain breast, gastric and non-small cell lung cancers. SBT6050 is currently in a Phase 1 clinical study in patients with advanced or metastatic HER2-expressing solid tumors (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04460456). Silverback Therapeutics is located in Seattle, Washington. To learn more, visit www.silverbacktx.com.
We offer our employees competitive compensation and benefits, including paid time off, health insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan, and stock options. Qualified candidates should forward their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are an equal opportunity employer.